J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Kloster Stuben 1824

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 13 Recto:
Kloster Stuben 1824
D20172
Turner Bequest CCXIX 11
Pencil and watercolour on white wove paper, 160 x 235 mm
Inscribed in red ink by Ruskin ‘11’ bottom right
Blind-stamped with Turner Bequest monogram bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CCXIX–11’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Here Turner has recorded the ruins of a medieval Augustinian convent, the Kloster Stuben, located near the town of Bremm on the Moselle. Built in honour of St Nicholas, construction began in around 1137 within the grounds of an earlier monastery. At one time the Kloster housed plunder from the Fourth Crusade (1202–4): a piece of the Holy Cross, brought back to Germany by the knight Heinrich von Elm. In the late eighteenth century it was converted into a secular convent and finally, in the 1820s, the site was auctioned off for demolition, lying in ruin ever since.
For other 1824 drawings of the Kloster Stuben see Tate D19780–D19782, D20165; Turner Bequest CCXVI 115–16, CCXIX 4. See also the later Trèves to Cochem and Coblenz to Mayence sketchbook of 1839 (Tate D28274–D28275; CCXC 12a–13).
Verso:
Blank

Alice Rylance-Watson
November 2013

How to cite

Alice Rylance-Watson, ‘Kloster Stuben 1824 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, November 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, April 2015, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-kloster-stuben-r1174915, accessed 28 June 2022.