Turner Bequest CLIV a 67
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘[...]’, ‘Bloom bry’, ‘Opera’, ‘Drury Lane’, [?N...]’ and ‘[?more red Houses]’ indicating various buildings at the top left, and ‘25 [...]’ bottom right
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘67’ top left, upside down (smudged)
Stamped in black ‘CLIV (a) – 67’ top left, upside down
The upper half of the page comprises a cluster of annotated thumbnail sketches of central London towers, spires and rooftops. The Bloomsbury district is identified, along with the ‘Opera’ and Drury Lane to its south. The ‘Bloom bry’ spire with distinctive horizontal divisions is presumably that of Hawksmoor’s St George’s, with which Turner was familiar (see for example the elevation in the Windmill and Lock sketchbook; Tate D08047; Turner Bequest CXIV 67). The earlier incarnation of what is now the Royal Opera House on Bow Street was the Theatre Royal, rebuilt in 1809 after a fire the previous year;1 the Theatre Royal Drury Lane still stands just to its east. The viewpoint is presumably Richmond Park, not far from Turner’s favourite haunt on Richmond Hill, either at the Henry VIII Mound (now largely surrounded by trees) or along Sawyer’s Hill; from there the London skyline can still be made out some eight or nine miles to the north-east, dominated by City tower blocks. There is a slight continuation of the buildings at the top right of the upper register on the opposite page.
How to cite
Matthew Imms, ‘London Churches and Landmarks from Richmond Park c.1817–18 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, September 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, September 2014, https://www