J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Newby Hall from the South-West 1816

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 33 Recto:
Newby Hall from the South-West 1816
D10928
Turner Bequest CXLIV 33
Pencil on white wove paper, 97 x 154 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘Doric as front Ex Pils’ and ‘Bal’[ustrade] twice, right
Very faint trace of inscriptions in red ink, possibly by John Ruskin, bottom right and bottom left, descending vertically
Stamped in black ‘CXLIV 33’ bottom left, descending vertically
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
This sketch of Newby Hall from the south-west is continued to the right on folio 32 verso (D10927), opposite. The south front of the house is drawn carefully, but the west front is only faintly indicated. That side is recorded in detail in the Yorkshire 3 sketchbook which accompanied Turner on the same tour in 1816 (Tate D11380–D11381; Turner Bequest CXLVI 6a–7).
Newby Hall lies about two miles west of Boroughbridge, on the way towards Ripon. It was built by Sir Edward Blackett in the early 1690s and in 1748 was bought by William Weddell who formed an outstanding collection of classical antiquities and created a sculpture gallery in the house to display them. The gallery can be seen to the right in the present sketch. Weddell died in 1792 and the house passed to his cousin Thomas Robinson, Lord Grantham, who in 1833 became the 1st Earl de Grey. The house has descended to the Compton family and is open to the public during the summer months.

David Hill
January 2009

How to cite

David Hill, ‘Newby Hall from the South-West 1816 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, January 2009, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2013, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-newby-hall-from-the-south-west-r1144116, accessed 08 December 2021.