J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Newby Hall from the West 1816

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 6 Verso:
Newby Hall from the West 1816
D11380
Turner Bequest CXLVI 6a
Pencil on white wove paper, 125 x 200 mm
Watermarked ‘[SA]LMON | [1]809’
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘[...] round window dressed with stone | x Hewn double [...] | x [...] and the Red Upper L Stone 2 Col’; ‘grass’; ‘Cattle’; ‘Arbel’ [? Abele – an old name for the White Poplar]; ‘Stone’ (twice)
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
This is the left half of a double-page spread, continued to the right on folio 7 recto (D11381) opposite, recording the west front of Newby Hall as seen from the banks of the River Ure. The Yorkshire 1 sketchbook has a study of Newby Hall from the south-west (Tate D10928; Turner Bequest CXLIV 33).
Newby Hall lies a few kilometres west of Boroughbridge, on the way towards Ripon. It was built by Sir Edward Blackett in the early 1690s and in 1748 was bought by William Weddell who formed an outstanding collection of classical antiquities and created a gallery at Newby to house them. Weddell died in 1792 and the house passed to his cousin Thomas Robinson, Lord Grantham, who in 1833 became 1st Earl de Grey. The house has passed down to the Compton family and is open to the public during the summer months.

David Hill
January 2009

How to cite

David Hill, ‘Newby Hall from the West 1816 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, January 2009, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2013, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-newby-hall-from-the-west-r1143507, accessed 13 December 2019.