J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Ruins of Dryburgh Abbey 1831

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 72 Recto:
Ruins of Dryburgh Abbey 1831
Turner Bequest CCLXVII 74
Pencil on off-white wove writing paper, 113 x 185 mm
Inscribed in blue ink by John Ruskin ‘74’ bottom left inverted and ‘271’ top left inverted
Stamped in black ‘CCLXVII – 74’ top left inverted
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
With the book inverted is a sketch of ruins that Gerald Finley has identified as Dryburgh Abbey,1 although precisely which part of the abbey this sketch depicts is uncertain. There are further close-up studies of Dryburgh on folios 71 verso–73 verso (D26055–D26059; CCLXVII 73a–75a); see also folio 9 (D25942; CCLXVII 9) for more information about Turner’s visit to Dryburgh.

Thomas Ardill
September 2009

Finley 1972, p.382 note 137.

How to cite

Thomas Ardill, ‘Ruins of Dryburgh Abbey 1831 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, September 2009, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-ruins-of-dryburgh-abbey-r1134424, accessed 09 March 2021.