J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Salisbury: The Council Room ?1798

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Salisbury: The Council Room ?1798
D02356
Turner Bequest L O
Pencil on white wove paper, 231 x 281 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘WHEELER’ centre right on house front
Blind-stamped with Turner Bequest monogram bottom right
Inscribed in pencil ‘L.O’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘L – O’ bottom right
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
This is the initial drawing on which Turner’s watercolour of about 1805 for Sir Richard Colt Hoare was based (Cooper Gallery, Barnsley).1 An intermediate colour study is Tate D02357 (Turner Bequest L P). This building, in Salisbury Market Place, is now known as the Guildhall. It was built by the Earl of Radnor, City Recorder, after the destruction by fire of the Elizabethan Council House in 1780. The architect was Sir Robert Taylor (1714–1788); Taylor’s pupil William Pilkington (1758–1848) made some alterations in 1788–95.2
1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.323 no.213.
2
See Nikolaus Pevsner, Wiltshire, The Buildings of England, 2nd ed., revised by Bridget Cherry, Harmondsworth 1975, p.442.
Verso:
Blank; not stamped.

Andrew Wilton
March 2013

How to cite

Andrew Wilton, ‘Salisbury: The Council Room ?1798 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, March 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, April 2015, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-salisbury-the-council-room-r1174086, accessed 21 September 2021.