J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Saltwood Castle from the East c.1816-19

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 43 Verso:
Saltwood Castle from the East circa 1816–19
D10481
Turner Bequest CXL 37a
Pencil on white wove paper, 155 x 95 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘Broom’ below image, left of centre
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Saltwood Castle stands just over a mile north of Hythe. Built as an Archbishop’s residence after the Norman Conquest it was added to in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries while the great gatehouse with its two round towers dates from 1380. It was restored in the nineteenth century and is now in private ownership.
Drawings of the castle occur on folios 44 verso–46 verso, 47 verso and 48 verso of this sketchbook (D10483–D10487, D10489, D10491; Turner Bequest CXL 38a–40a, 41a, 42a). They were made from various angles as Turner followed his usual habit of circling an interesting historic structure to complete a survey. Here he looks at it from some distance to the east, probably from a road running north between Sandgate and Hythe. The gatehouse, now the inhabited part of the castle, and south curtain walls can clearly be seen in the middle distance.

David Blayney Brown
July 2011

How to cite

David Blayney Brown, ‘Saltwood Castle from the East c.1816–19 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, July 2011, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-saltwood-castle-from-the-east-r1131474, accessed 17 January 2022.