J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Shrewsbury: The Old Market House 1794

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Shrewsbury: The Old Market House 1794
D00405
Turner Bequest XXIII e
Pencil, 213 x 138 mm on white wove paper, 216 x 275 mm
Stamped in black ‘XXIII e’ bottom right
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
C.F. Bell identified the building as the ‘Town Hall’; this is in fact the Old Market House, built in 1596 to a design by Walter Hancock.1
1
See Nikolaus Pevsner, Shropshire, The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth 1958, p.266.
Technical notes:
The sheet is folded vertically in the centre with the drawing only occupying the right half.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

How to cite

Andrew Wilton, ‘Shrewsbury: The Old Market House 1794 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, April 2012, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-shrewsbury-the-old-market-house-r1141055, accessed 08 December 2021.