Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
St John’s Church, Niederlahnstein, the Entrance to the Lahn, and Burg Lahneck 1839
Turner Bequest CCXC 86
Pencil on flecked off-white wove paper, 100 x 163 mm
Inscribed in blue ink by Ruskin ‘86’ top right
Stamped in black ‘CCXC–86’ bottom right
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
A.J. Finberg, A Complete Inventory of the Drawings of the Turner Bequest, London 1909, vol.II, p.927, as ‘Niederlanhstein’.
This summary sketch depicts Niederlahnstein, the sister town of Oberlahnstein, with the mouth of the Lahn River at centre. At left is the Johanniskirche (St John’s Church) and at right, atop the mount, is Lahneck Castle. See also Tate D28448
; Turner Bequest CCXC 49 a.
How to cite
Alice Rylance-Watson, ‘St John’s Church, Niederlahnstein, the Entrance to the Lahn, and Burg Lahneck 1839 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, July 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, November 2014, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-st-johns-church-niederlahnstein-the-entrance-to-the-lahn-and-r1150806, accessed 17 October 2021.