Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Turner Bequest CLVI 3
Pencil on white wove paper, 232 x 328 mm
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘553. A’ bottom left
Stamped in black ‘CLVI 3’ bottom right
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The house, since demolished, is seen to the north-east from across Forthburn Beck, which runs towards the bridge on the right. The drawing continues a little way onto folio 5 verso opposite (D12317
; CLVI 32a). There are further double-page drawings of Streatlam on folios 3 verso–4 recto and 4 verso–5 recto (D12313–D12316
; CLVI 30a–31, 31a–32). For more on its history see the entry for D12314
and the introduction to the tour.
The present sketch is not mentioned in Finberg’s 1909 Inventory
. Although there is an entry for a page ‘3’, which would usually correspond to the stamped recto of a leaf, it is bracketed with page ‘4’ as ‘Gibside, the seat of the Earl of Strathmore’, clearly referring to the double-page composition running across the verso of this leaf (D40723
) and folio 7 recto (D12265
; CLVI 4).1
The verso was initially stamped ‘CLVI 3’ but this was erased, although the imprint is still faintly visible.
There is some staining at the bottom right-hand corner.
How to cite
Matthew Imms, ‘Streatlam Castle 1817 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, February 2010, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-streatlam-castle-r1139462, accessed 16 February 2020.