J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner The Ruins of the Holy Ghost Chapel, Basingstoke 1811

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 249 Verso:
The Ruins of the Holy Ghost Chapel, Basingstoke 1811
D08799
Turner Bequest CXXIII 246a
Pencil on white wove writing paper, 75 x 117 mm
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The view is from the south, at about the point where the railway now runs east-west through Basingstoke. The houses on Chapel Hill may have survived until the northwards expansion of the town in the 1960s.1
There is a similar view on folio 250 recto opposite (D08800; CXXIII 247). For other sketches made at the site, see under folio 244 recto (D08791; CXXIII 241).

Matthew Imms
June 2011

1
For vintage and modern photographs see ‘Chapel Hill’ and ‘Holy Ghost Ruins, Chapel Hill’ at ‘The Willis Museum, Basingstoke’, Hantsweb, accessed 23 March 2011, respectively http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/willis-museum/local-studies-willis/basingstoke-then/then-10.htm and http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/willis-museum/local-studies-willis/basingstoke-then/then-3.htm.

How to cite

Matthew Imms, ‘The Ruins of the Holy Ghost Chapel, Basingstoke 1811 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, June 2011, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-the-ruins-of-the-holy-ghost-chapel-basingstoke-r1137278, accessed 28 November 2021.