J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner View at Liège, Looking towards the Dome of St Andrew's Church 1824

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 12 Recto:
View at Liège, Looking towards the Dome of St Andrew’s Church 1824
D20103
Turner Bequest CCXVII 12
Pencil on off-white wove paper, 99 x 162 mm
Watermark ‘[...]lls | 1[...]’
Inscribed in blue ink by Ruskin ‘12’ top right and ‘247’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CCXVII–12’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
To draw this sketch Turner stood on what is now called the Boulevard d’Avroy at Liège. The Baroque building on the right is the Abbaye de la Paix Notre-Dame, a Benedictine convent constructed between 1687 and 1690 to the plans of Sister Aldegonde Desmoulins.1 Towards the middle distance the striking onion dome of St Andrew’s Church can be seen. The current building was designed by the Liégeois architect J.B. Renoz and completed in 1772, though a church belonging to the order of Teutonic Knights has existed on this site since the thirteenth century.2 St Andrew’s is recorded by Turner in two other sketches: Tate D29673; Turner Bequest CCXCVI 39a and from a distance in Tate D19446; Turner Bequest CCXV 25a. The tower with cupola seen to the immediate right of the St Andrew’s Church in this drawing is also depicted in the latter of these sketches.
This view is continued on Tate D20102; Turner Bequest CCXVII 11a.

Alice Rylance-Watson
January 2014

1
Father Jacques Schuttringer, ‘Les Bénédictines de la Paix Notre Dame à Liège’, Château de Chokier, accessed 21 January 2014, http://www.chokier.com/FILES/BENE/Paix-Notre-Dame-Liege.html See also ‘Abbaye’, Benedictines Liège, accessed 21 January 2014, http://benedictinesliege.com
2
Fabrice Muller, ‘Monuments et curiosités de Liège: Édifices religieux’, Fabrice Muller, accessed 21 January 2014, http://www.fabrice-muller.be/index.html

How to cite

Alice Rylance-Watson, ‘View at Liège, Looking towards the Dome of St Andrew’s Church 1824 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, January 2014, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, April 2015, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-view-at-liege-looking-towards-the-dome-of-st-andrews-church-r1174298, accessed 19 August 2022.