Who's your favourite fairy tale character? The Wicked Fairy Godmother or the Big Bad Wolf? How about a wizard, unicorn or dragon? The artist Edward Burne-Jones liked painting fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty. He was part of a group of artists called the Pre-Raphaelites. Their style of paintings made these stories look very real. Can you spot Sleeping Beauty in Burne-Jones's painting called The Rose Bower?
We're going to show you how to create your own fairy tale characters! When you're done you could put on a play or write a new story to go with your characters.
READY TO DRAW A FAIRY TALE?
You will need:
- Some ink pads or coloured paints
- An apron or old clothes – this is to protect your clothes from getting stained
- Plain paper
- Colouring pencils (dark blue works well for the characters)
Let's start with the frog pRINCE ...
1. Get your materials ready
2. Make two thumbprints
3. Next, draw two eyes and a smile
4. Add curvy lines for the legs and dots for the toes
5. Next add the crown
6. Good work! You've drawn a frog prince
To create the prince
1. Make three thumbprints for the body
2. Add lines for arms and legs
3. Draw a head and face however you like!
4. Add three fingerprints for the shield and two lines to make a sword
5. Draw three rectangles to create a belt
6. All done and ready to slay a dragon!
To create a unicorn
1. Make two thumbprints for the head and neck
2. ADd an eye, nose, ear and big smile!
3. For the horn, Draw a straight line with a curly line on top. Then add some hair!
4. Ta-dah! You've drawn a magical unicorn
Why not try other characters ...
A sparkly fairy ...
Or a fiery dragon!
Or design a background?
Choose a scene from your favourite fairy tale or design your own!
Illustration by Lucy Noakes