In his constructions, Gabo sought to create a sense of a defined space without enclosing or delimiting it. Radically, he used transparent materials to achieve this. Part of the ideology of his constructivism was that individual works could be made numerous times in different sizes and from different materials. This piece was conceived in 1928 but the actual object was constructed in London in 1936 using Perspex, a new material that was clearer and more malleable than others. In late years Gabo used the same form for a fountain that can be seen on the south bank of the Thames opposite the Houses of Parliament.