- Attributed to James Hamilton 1640–1720
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 1105 x 1572 x 27 mm
- Bequeathed by Miss Agnes Clarke 1978
T02266 TWO HOUNDS CHASING A HARE c.1700
Inscribed ‘P ...T[?PinxiT]/(?)De/Hamilton’ on stone bottom left of centre
Oil on canvas, 43 1/2 × 61 7/8 (110.5 × 157)
Bequeathed by Miss Agnes Clarke, 1978
Prov: ...; according to a typescript label on the back of the frame, ‘Formerly the property of James T. Talman. Sold by him to his son Edward Watson Talman October 1, 1839 (see receipted bill in Talman Archives)’, unverified; ...; according to Miss Clarke's solicitors, probably purchased in England in the 1950s by Miss Clarke and/or her brother John Semple Clarke (formerly citizens of USA), who settled after World War II at Killagorden House, Idless, Truro, Cornwall.
This seems to show mingled influences from Francis Barlow and from the Flemish tradition of such painters as Jan Fyt. The signature is not easily legible, but appears to read ‘De Hamilton’, a pointer to a family of artists whose work is little known. T02266 is here attributed to James Hamilton, a Scottish-born artist who during Cromwell's Protectorate went into exile at Brussels, where he and his family were evidently styled ‘de Hamilton’, and where he died; but it may rather be the work of one of his sons, Ferdinand Philip (1664–1750), Charles William (1668–1754) or John George de Hamilton (1672–1737), who painted scenes of the chase.
The Tate Gallery 1978-80: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1981