This little painting was presented to Turner in 1834 by the historical painter and draughtsman Prince Hoare in recognition of his teaching at the Royal Academy. It has a dedication on the back to 'Professor Turner'. It was probably the picture seen in Turner's dining room by his friend F.E. Trimmer with an ascription to Claude's teacher Agostino Tassi. In fact it is closer in style to the German artist Goffredo Wals with whom the young Claude studied for two years in Naples.