Share this artwork
frame: 650 x 630 x 110 mm
The Coptic Church is the ancient Orthodox Christian Church of Egypt. This study of the patriarch’s house was executed after Lewis’s return from Egypt in 1851, using the sketches he brought back. This work highlights Lewis’s ability to paint figures and setting with careful attention to light and shade, produced here by the top-lit courtyard.Lewis caused a sensation when he exhibited one of his Near Eastern scenes in London in 1850. John Ruskin admired his attention to detail, claiming that in truth-to-nature he ranked alongside the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.