- Sir Matthew Smith 1879–1959
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 533 x 648 mm
frame: 735 x 845 x 100
- Purchased 1949
N05903 CORNISH CHURCH 1920
Inscr. ‘MS 20’ t.r. and ‘1920’ on back of canvas.
Canvas, 21×25 1/2 (53·5×64·5).
Purchased from the Mayor Gallery (Knapping Fund) 1949.
Coll: Purchased from the artist by T. W. Earp, who afterwards sold it to F. Mayor c. 1947.
Exh: Tate Gallery, September–October 1953 (11, repr. pl.7), and Arts Council tour, November 1953–February 1954 (9); R.A., October–December 1960 (31).
Repr: Hendy, Halliday and Russell, 1962, pl.15 (in colour); John Rothenstein, The Tate Gallery, 1962, p.257.
Painted while the artist was living at St Columb Major, Cornwall, between June and December 1920, the composition shows a view of the parish church seen from an upstairs window of the house in which the artist was staying. It is one of several Cornish landscapes painted in a predominantly purple, green and dark red palette which seems to reflect the artist's anxious pessimism at this time.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,820)