Joseph Mallord William Turner

Civita Castellana with the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

1819

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 110 x 186 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D14808
Turner Bequest CLXXVII 79 a

Catalogue entry

Turner’s route to Rome took him to Civita Castellana, an ancient town in the Viterbo province of Lazio, approximately seventeen miles south of Narni and thirty miles north of the Eternal City. He entered the town via the Ponte Clementino to the north, see folios 75 verso–76 (D14800–1) and followed the eastern road (present-day Via Minolfo Masci) round towards the viewpoint for this sketch, the present-day Via Vincenzo Ferretti with the view looking east towards the medieval bell-tower of the Church of Santa Maria dell Carmine o dell Arco. On the far right-hand side is a fountain decorated with figures which no longer survives today. A smaller sketch of the same view can be found in the bottom left-hand corner of folio 76 verso (D14802).

Nicola Moorby
November 2008

Read full Catalogue entry