Joseph Mallord William Turner Waverley Abbey: The Ruins of the Cellarium c.1792

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Waverley Abbey: The Ruins of the Cellarium
Date c.1792
Medium Graphite on paper
Dimensions Support: 215 x 273 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00178
Turner Bequest XVII C
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Although the ruins are largely masked by creeper, they seem to be those of the Cellarium of Waverley Abbey, near Farnham, Surrey, seen from the banks of the River Wey (looking north). A watercolour of the same ruin seen from the north is erroneously titled Glastonbury Abbey (private collection).1 The early twelfth-century Cistercian foundation at Waverley was the first house of its order in England. The structure, of Bargate ironstone and white limestone, is part of a large site on which most of the principal buildings including the Church have been completely destroyed. It is now managed by English Heritage.
1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.303 no.30, reproduced.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

About this artwork