J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

Joseph Mallord William Turner Llanthony Abbey: The Ruins of the Central Tower 1792

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Llanthony Abbey: The Ruins of the Central Tower 1792
D00136
Turner Bequest XII G
Pencil on white wove paper, 279 x 216 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘Laneyanl Creekcornel’ top right
Stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram bottom left
Stamped in black ‘XII G’ bottom right
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Other drawings of Llanthony made on this tour are Tate D00135 (Turner Bequest XII F), and the verso of the present sheet (D40036). Turner’s ‘Laneyanl Creekcornel’ refers to Llanvihangel Crucorney, a village near Llanthony.

Andrew Wilton
April 2012

How to cite

Andrew Wilton, ‘Llanthony Abbey: The Ruins of the Central Tower 1792 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, April 2012, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, December 2012, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-llanthony-abbey-the-ruins-of-the-central-tower-r1141121, accessed 24 May 2015.