The Turner Prize is widely considered to be one of the most important and prestigious awards for the visual arts in Europe.
The shortlisted artists
The £20,000 prize was presented to Keith Tyson in a ceremony at Tate Britain on Sunday 8 December during a live television broadcast by Channel 4. The judges commended the way in which his work embraces the poetic, the logical, the humorous, and the fantastical and draws connections between them.
- Michael Archer, critic and lecturer
- Susan Ferleger Brades, Director of the Hayward Gallery
- Alfred Pacquement, Director of the National Museum of Modern Art at the Georges Pompidou Centre
- Greville Worthington, collector and curator is this year’s representative of the Patrons of New Art on the Turner Prize panel
- Nicholas Serota, Director of Tate