J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Alnwick Abbey: The Gatehouse 1797

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 44 Recto:
Alnwick Abbey: The Gatehouse 1797
D00949
Turner Bequest XXXIV 42
Pencil on white wove paper, 270 x 210 mm
Watermark ‘1794 | J Whatman
Blind-stamped with Turner Bequest monogram towards bottom right
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘42’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘XXXIV 42’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The gateway is all that remains of the Premonstratensian house founded by Eustace FitzJohn in 1147, and suppressed under Thomas Cromwell in 1539. It now stands isolated in a field. In Turner’s time some other buildings had survived and he included a glimpse of them to the left of this study of the gatehouse itself. The right-hand side of the composition was not developed.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
January 2013

How to cite

Andrew Wilton, ‘Alnwick Abbey: The Gatehouse 1797 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, January 2013, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, November 2014, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-alnwick-abbey-the-gatehouse-r1150105, accessed 21 January 2021.