Not on display
The gateway is all that remains of the Premonstratensian house founded by Eustace FitzJohn in 1147, and suppressed under Thomas Cromwell in 1539. It now stands isolated in a field. In Turner’s time some other buildings had survived and he included a glimpse of them to the left of this study of the gatehouse itself. The right-hand side of the composition was not developed.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.