J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Castleton: St Edmund's Church; the Village with Peveril Castle to the South ?1831

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 39 Recto:
Castleton: St Edmund’s Church; the Village with Peveril Castle to the South ?1831
D22222
Turner Bequest CCXXXIX 39
Pencil on white wove paper, 114 x 191 mm
Partial watermark ‘nard | 20’
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘39’ top left, upside down
Stamped in black ‘CCXXXIX – 39’ top left, upside down
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The page is divided into three by pencil lines, with two views inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation and a third at the outer edge, made with the page turned vertically. The latter, as Ian Warrell has noted, is a study of St Edmund’s Church, Castleton,1 seen from the south. Its tower is seen on the left of the upper of the two sketches of Castleton, looking south up to Peveril Castle. The lower sketch is a slightly closer view from a similar direction. For other views of the castle, the village and Peak Cavern, see under folio 1 verso (D22152).

Matthew Imms
April 2014

1
Ian Warrell, notes from 1993 and later in Tate catalogue files.

How to cite

Matthew Imms, ‘Castleton: St Edmund’s Church; the Village with Peveril Castle to the South ?1831 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, April 2014, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, September 2014, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-castleton-st-edmunds-church-the-village-with-peveril-castle-r1148868, accessed 17 October 2021.