Joseph Mallord William Turner

Castleton: St Edmund’s Church; the Village with Peveril Castle to the South

?1831

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 114 x 191 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D22222
Turner Bequest CCXXXIX 39

Catalogue entry

The page is divided into three by pencil lines, with two views inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation and a third at the outer edge, made with the page turned vertically. The latter, as Ian Warrell has noted, is a study of St Edmund’s Church, Castleton,1 seen from the south. Its tower is seen on the left of the upper of the two sketches of Castleton, looking south up to Peveril Castle. The lower sketch is a slightly closer view from a similar direction. For other views of the castle, the village and Peak Cavern, see under folio 1 verso (D22152).

Matthew Imms
April 2014

1
Ian Warrell, notes from 1993 and later in Tate catalogue files.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like