J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours

ISBN 978-1-84976-386-8

Joseph Mallord William Turner Lydford Castle and St Petroc's Church 1814

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 40 Recto:
Lydford Castle and St Petroc’s Church 1814
D09523
Turner Bequest CXXXII 40
Pencil on white wove paper, 90 x 152 mm
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘40’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CXXXII – 40’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
The square keep of Lydford Castle and the tower of St Petroc’s Church (almost obscured by a stain at the top right) are seen from the north-west, from the depression on that side of the village which runs into Lydford Gorge towards the south-east, beyond this composition towards the right. There is a more detailed version on folio 41 recto (D09524) and a similar view from further back on folio 39 recto (D09522). For other views around Lydford, see under folio 28 recto (D09510).
Technical notes:
There is a prominent brown stain around the top right corner, possibly caused in the 1928 Tate flood.
Verso:
Blank

Matthew Imms
June 2014

How to cite

Matthew Imms, ‘Lydford Castle and St Petroc’s Church 1814 by Joseph Mallord William Turner’, catalogue entry, June 2014, in David Blayney Brown (ed.), J.M.W. Turner: Sketchbooks, Drawings and Watercolours, Tate Research Publication, September 2014, https://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/joseph-mallord-william-turner-lydford-castle-and-st-petrocs-church-r1147068, accessed 27 June 2022.