Damien Hirst is a famous British artist. This is one of his Spin paintings. To make them he stands on a ladder and pours paint onto a large circular canvas. As he pours the paint, the canvas is rotated by a machine – like a disc on a record player!
This creates these fantastic splats! Don't they look fun to make? Each one is kind of like an optical illusion experiment.
Let's have a go!
You will need
A pipette or straw
Diluted poster paint - three colours works well!
A small paper plate or plain A4 paper
A salad spinner
Ready? Let's go!
1. Cut out a circle from a piece of paper or get your paper plate
2. Put the Paper circle inside the salad spinner
3. Drip some paint on to the paper with a pipette or straw
4. Close the lid and spin the salad spinner
5. All done. Have a look ...WOW! Beautiful!
which colours will you try next?
This activity was made in collaboration with OKIDO.