Brazilian sculptor associated with the School of Paris. Born in Rio de Janeiro. Studied at the Altamira Academy in Buenos Aires under Pettoruti and Fontana. First visited Paris in 1948 and stayed to study philosophy at the Sorbonne. Also began to study sculpture at the Grande Chaumière in the studio of Auricoste and met Brancusi, Arp and Vantongerloo. Went back to Brazil in 1950, then made a second visit to Europe 1951-3. Visited China 1954. On return to Brazil, devoted himself entirely to sculpture. Made a few abstract works, then figures in bronze and marble akin to Laurens, followed by abstract sculptures in metal. First one-man exhibition at the Galeria Gea, Rio de Janeiro, 1958. Settled in Paris in 1965 and soon afterwards started to make painted white reliefs with an accumulation of angled sections of wooden cylinders mounted on a flat backplane. Awarded the International Sculpture Prize at the 1963 Paris Biennale. Large structural wall relief for the Palace of Foreign Affairs, Brasilia, 1965-6. Some of his subsequent work has been in Carrara white marble. Lives in Paris.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.94