Romanian-Canadian sculptor. Born in Jassy, Romania, where he studied painting 1949-50. Emigrated to Israel with his family 1950. Studied at the Institute of Painting and Sculpture in Tel Aviv 1953-5, producing his first construction in polychromed wood 1954, then joined an artists' co-operative at Ein Hod founded by Marcel Janco. First one-man exhibition at ZOA, Tel Aviv, 1958. Attended the Brooklyn Museum Art Institute, New York, in 1958 on a scholarship and was greatly impressed by the Museum's collection of primitive art. Also travelled in Western Europe and made his first sculptures. Settled in Toronto in 1961 and was one of three artists chosen to represent Canada at the 1966 Venice Biennale. His first sculptures were mainly plywood painted constructions and small terracottas, but since 1962 he has modelled in plaster for bronze casting and has also carved in marble. Divides his time between Toronto and a studio in Fiesole.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.212