Sorry, no image is available of this object
The title of this work refers to Lanyon’s painting St Just from 1953 that was originally conceived as a crucifixion but named for the town at the heart of west Cornwall’s tin mining industry. This painted glass construction has been seen to echo the pithead equipment at such mines and also the black lines of telegraph wires that then criss-crossed the town. It is an important example of Lanyon’s three dimensional works which he referred to as ‘constructions’ exploring the pictorial space of his painted compositions. Although he regarded them as subordinate to his paintings, Lanyon sometimes exhibited such constructions.