Lanyon began making constructions in 1939, when he was working in Gabo's studio in Carbis Bay, Cornwall. He acknowledged Gabo as the biggest inspiration for his sculpture, as the title 'Construction' recalls. Between 1946 and 1947 he made five objects, although four of these were later destroyed. Lanyon's widow recalls that he was always putting together and taking apart works of this kind. Though still constructed, Lanyon's sculpture of the 1950s was more painterly in character. He described these later works as 'experiments in space to establish the illusion and the content of space in painting'.