- Oranges, wood, plastic
- Object: 1524 x 1667 x 1667 mm
- Presented by Tate Patrons 2013
This work is created from 5800 oranges, and raises questions about ephemerality, time and decay. Visitors are invited to take an orange and as a result the piece literally dematerialises and changes through visitor participation. This work first appeared at the Arts Laboratory, London in October 1967. At this time, Louw had a large, low-rent studio in Stockwell Depot, which was an artists’ run initiative founded in 1968 by St Martin’s sculptors, Roland Brener and Peter Hide. Stockwell Depot provided an exhibition space for work that was often large-scale and unsellable.
Gallery label, May 2007