T02224 DEC 10–54 1954
Inscribed on reverse ‘Ben Nicholson/Dec 10–54’, and arrows pointing in two different directions
Relief of oil and pencil on wood mounted on painted board, 10 3/4 × 5 3/4 × 1/4 (27.3 × 14.6 × 0.5)
Bequeathed by Miss E. M. Hodgkins 1977
Probably made in St Ives. In reply to a letter seeking confirmation that the arrows inscribed on the reverse of this work meant it could be shown either of two ways up, Ben Nicholson returned a photocopy of these inscriptions with one of the arrows crossed out and the other confirmed in writing.
The Tate Gallery 1976-8: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1979