Margot Perryman b. 1938
T01256 ARCADE 1969
Inscribed ‘Perryman TOP “ARCADE” T969’ on the back.
Acrylic on canvas, 68 x 58 (173 x 147).
Purchased from the artist through the New Art Centre (Henfield Gift, Denpril Ltd, and Gytha Trust) 1970.
Exh: Richard Demarco Gallery, Edinburgh, March 1970 (3); New Art Centre,
September 1970 (2).
The artist has written (letters of 20, 21 and 26 June 1971) that this was her last picture concerned with space in a landscape form and also the last of a succession of paintings that had a space in the middle of the canvas with pillar-like uprights on each side. She began this type of painting in January 1968 and continued until the series terminated with ‘Arcade’ 1969 in May 1969…