William Tucker b.1935
T00856 Memphis 1965–66
Painted fibre glass and resin in three sections, 30¼ x 69¼ x 55 (77 x 176 x 140); each section 15 x 53 x 1(38 x 135 x 46.5).
Purchased from the artist through the Rowan Gallery (Grant-in-Aid) 1966.
Repr. Studio International, CLXXII, 1966, p. 172.
‘Memphis’ is one of an edition of three, of which another is in the collection of the British Council. It is also in itself made in three identical sections each with three lobes. This repetition of a triple rhythm has since been one of the most constant themes of Tucker’s work.
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1966–1967, London 1967.