Joseph Mallord William Turner

Warkworth Castle and Village from the River Coquet

1797

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 210 x 270 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D00945
Turner Bequest XXXIV 38

Catalogue entry

The subject is drawn with the page turned horizontally. A finished watercolour based on this drawing is in the Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Fredericton, Canada.1 Another, larger watercolour of Warkworth was based on the drawing he made on folio 42 recto (D00947; Turner Bequest XXXIV 40). Ownership of the castle, which dates from the twelfth century, passed from the family of John de Clavering to Henry de Percy in the mid-fourteenth century. The Percys, who became Earls of Northumberland, were succeeded in the mid-eighteenth century by Hugh Smithson, who married into their family, took their name and inaugurated a new creation of Dukes of Northumberland, who remained in possession until 1922 when the 8th Duke passed responsibility for the site to the Office of Works (now English Heritage). Other drawings of Warkworth are on folios 41 recto and 43 recto (D00946, D00948; Turner Bequest XXXIV 39, 41).
1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.328 no.257, reproduced.
Verso:
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.

Andrew Wilton
January 2013

Read full Catalogue entry