- Shikanosuke Yagaki 1897–1966
- Photograph, gelatin silver print on paper
- Support & image: 263 x 352 mm
- Presented by Jacqui Brantjes and Daniel Pittack 2010
Shikanosuke Yagaki was an active member of many of the amateur photography clubs flourishing in Japan in the 1930s, including the Sanwa Bank Photo Club, the Karashishi-kai Photo Group, and the Kyoto Leica Club and his work was widely exhibited. Despite a lack of professional training, Yagaki developed a sophisticated style which combined the influence of European modernism with typical Japanese subjects. His work shows a great understanding of the camera’s potential, playing with movement, perspective, light and shadow.
Gallery label, June 2011
- leisure and pastimes(7,581)
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,768)