Revolutionary school of art, architecture and design established by the pioneer modern architect Walter Gropius at Weimar in Germany in 1919, includes artists Paul Klee and Wassily Kandinsky

1 of 3
  • Wassily Kandinsky, 'Swinging' 1925

    Wassily Kandinsky
    Swinging 1925
    Oil on board
    support: 705 x 502 mm frame: 954 x 750 x 80 mm
    Purchased 1979 ADAGP, Paris and DACS, London 2002

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Paul Klee, 'Comedy' 1921

    Paul Klee
    Comedy 1921
    Watercolour and oil on paper
    support: 305 x 454 mm
    Purchased 1946 DACS, 2002

    View the main page for this artwork

  • Josef Albers, 'Study for Homage to the Square: Departing in Yellow' 1964

    Josef Albers
    Study for Homage to the Square: Departing in Yellow 1964
    Oil on board
    support: 762 x 762 mm frame: 780 x 780 x 30 mm
    Purchased 1965 The Joseph and Annie Albers Foundation/VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn and DACS, London, 2006

    View the main page for this artwork

The Bauhaus teaching method replaced the traditional pupil-teacher relationship with the idea of a community of artists working together. Its aim was to bring art back into contact with everyday life, and design was therefore given as much weight as fine art. The name is a combination of the German words for building (bau) and house (haus) and may have been intended to evoke the idea of a guild or fraternity working to build a new society. Teachers included Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, László Moholy-Nagy and Josef Albers.

The Bauhaus moved from Weimar to Dessau in 1925–6 where Gropius created a new building for the school. In 1932 it moved to Berlin where it was closed in 1933 by the Nazis.

Its influence was immense, especially in the USA where Moholy-Nagy opened the New Bauhaus in Chicago in 1937. In 1933 Albers took its methods to Black Mountain College in North Carolina and in 1950 to Yale University.