Circuit: Hyperlink, Tate Modern
26–28 April 2013
Hyperlink is a major festival for young people at Tate Modern, Hyperlink will take place in The Tanks and Turbine Hall at Tate Modern on 26–28 April. Hyperlink is a three day festival of installations, performances and workshops by visual artists, designers, gastronomists and musicians developed and produced by and for young people.
Hyperlink is the first of eight festivals around the country happening as part of Circuit. Hyperlink has been curated by Tate Collective London, a group of young creatives aged 15–25 years, who produce dynamic programme for young audiences across Tate Modern and Tate Britain.
Hyperlink will feature exciting performances by critically acclaimed musicians such as Akala, George the Poet, Sway and Angel. In addition to live music, there will be artist-run workshops, installations and interactive artworks; one installation will see the Turbine Hall transformed with a cascading flotilla of handmade boats. Visitors can pop by for five minutes, stay for a few hours or for both days, and there will be special artist talks, food stalls and more.
- George the Poet, the hottest name in spoken word, will stage a performance in the Turbine Hall.
- Performances by rapper Sway, and singer Angel.
- MOBO award winning artist, Akala, will perform a sneak preview of tracks from new album The Thieves Banquet alongside an installation of his new album artwork by Japanese artist Tokio Aoyama. Akala and Tokio Aoyama will also present an artist talk.
- Fashion photographer Rankin will run a small number of workshops for participants to experience what it’s like to be on the set of a photo-shoot.
- It’s Nice That will present zine-making workshops across the weekend with No Zine and Zineswap where participants can create and contribute to a zine to take home.
- Stooki x Stooki Sound will bring Trap music to The Tanks and their bass and minimalist sound will reverberate around the space with synchronised visuals.
- Raw Material will present a fusion of live art, electronic sound, song, spoken word and visual art. Performers include Monster Playground, Celloman, FLOetic Lara, Tagz, Potent Whisper & visual artist Barka.
Hyperlink is the first in a series of national festivals being developed as part of Circuit, a new national youth network for the visual arts. Funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation, Circuit aims to reach 80,000 young people aged 15–25 over four years, through festivals, sustained partnership work and artist-led projects. The programme provides opportunities for young people across theUK, particularly those who have the least access to the arts, to participate and shape their own cultural experiences. Alongside Tate are five national partners: firstsite, Colchester; MOSTYN, Llandudno North Wales; Nottingham Contemporary; Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester; and Wysing Arts Centre and Kettle’s Yard, Cambridgeshire. All four Tate galleries will be involved: Tate Modern and Tate Britain in London, Tate Liverpool, and Tate St Ives (working closely with Newlyn Art Gallery and The Exchange).