Graham Sutherland 1903-1980
P07117 Pastoral 1930
Inscribed ‘Pastoral’ b.l., ‘Graham Sutherland’ b.r. and ‘4’ on verso.
Etching, 5 x 7½ (12.5 x 19) on paper 6¿ x 8¿ (17 x 22.5).
Purchased from Thos. Agnew & Sons (Gytha Trust) 1970.
Coll: Mrs A.M. Bernard-Smith.
Exh: From the Pre-Raphaelites to Picasso II, Agnew, June–July 1970 (116).
Lit: Edward Sackville-West, Graham Sutherland,1943, p.7, repr. pl.2; Douglas Cooper, The Work of Graham Sutherland, 1961, p. 69, repr. pl.4b; Felix H. Man, Graham Sutherland: das graphische Werk 1922–1970, 1970, No. 34, repr.
Sutherland began his career and originally made his reputation as an etcher.’ Pastoral’ was made shortly before he more or less abandoned the medium in 1930, because of the collapse of the market for etchings in England, and turned instead to painting. It is also perhaps his first work to show clear indications of his later, more characteristic style, particularly in its use of dramatic shadows, twisting, monster-like forms and dream-like atmosphere.
According to Felix Man there were four states, but the plate was never published; there exist only a small number of trial proofs printed by the artist. P07117, with a detailed treatment of the sky, foreground areas and fence, is of the final state. In 1970 the plate was still in existence.
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1970–1972, London 1972.