View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
- Graphite, watercolour and gouache on paper
- Support: 198 x 278 mm
- Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest XXXIII S
This is a study based on the drawing that Turner made in his North of England sketchbook (Tate D00952; Turner Bequest XXXIV 45). Compare the very similar studies, Tate D01112 and D01114 (Turner Bequest XXXVI R, T). All were presumably made in preparation for the finished watercolour now in a private UK collection.1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.331 no.284.
The sheet laid down on buff wove paper, inscribed ‘Dunstanbro’’.
- seascapes and coasts(8,242)
- UK countries and regions(24,337)
- UK counties(19,986)
- UK man-made landmarks(1,741)
- Dunstanburgh Castle(34)