- Object: 1702 x 546 x 483 mm
- Presented by the Trustees of the Chantrey Bequest 1922
N03630 PSYCHE c. 1919
Inscr. ‘Alfred Turner’ on left of base.
Marble, 67×21 1/2×19 (170×55×48).
Chantrey Purchase from the artist 1922.
Exh: R.A., 1919 (1489).
Repr: Tate Gallery Illustrations, 1928, pl.125; Kineton Parkes, The Art of Carved Sculpture, 1931, I, facing p.24; R.B.S., Modern Sculpture, 1939, p.96.
According to the Tate Gallery minutes this work was bought from a Miss Hayes, the purchaser of a number of works by Alfred Turner, but the R.A. records state that it was bought from the artist.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- actions: postures and motions(8,526)
- hand/hands raised(140)
- religion and belief(7,299)
- classical myths: gods and heroes(613)