Known for his heavy brushstrokes and subtle curves, discover how Modigliani worked with models as a starting point for his own unique pictorial style. Over two weekends artist Richard Burger leads a workshop exploring portraiture and the materiality of painting. Participants will draw and paint from life models as well as spend time in the exhibition.
Suitable for all levels
• An introduction to Modigliani by Tate conservation staff
• All practical materials
• Two visits to the exhibition
• A presentation on Modigliani by assistant curator Emma Lewis
• Light refreshments throughout both weekends
• A drinks reception at the end of the final session
• A certificate of participation upon course completion
Born in Genova, Italy, Richard Burger is a contemporary artist who specialises in portraiture and landscape. Working primarily with oil, he is interested in showing his particular view of the world around him. In 2016 he was selected for exhibition in the BP Portrait awards at the National Portrait Gallery, London.
This event has been provided by Tate Gallery on behalf of Tate Enterprises LTD