Not on display
Turner’s viewpoint is the east bank of the River Gaunless, looking west across it to Auckland Castle (with St Peter’s Chapel on the right), and north-west to the Gothic Revival deer shelter, with Weardale beyond; the foreground is now extensively wooded. The large, stone shelter was built in 1760, perhaps to designs by Thomas Wright (1711–1786), and includes rooms for picnicking hunting parties. Stylistically, it echoes some of the features of the nearby castle.1
The drawing continues a little to the left on folio 23 verso (D12348). It is one in a sequence of views between folios 21 verso and 27 recto (D12345–D12354), following the course of the Gaunless from south to north anti-clockwise around the castle towards the River Wear. For the history of the castle, see the entry for folio 22 recto (D12346).
[Sarah Yates (ed.)], Heritage Unlocked: Guide to Free [English Heritage] Sites in Yorkshire & the North East, London 2004, pp.52–.