Joseph Mallord William Turner

Ben Venue and Ben A’an from Loch Achray; and Churchyard Islay

1831

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 125 x 201 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26531
Turner Bequest CCLXX 48 a

Catalogue entry

This page contains sketches of the mountains seen from Loch Achray, as well as a smaller sketch of a churchyard on the island of Islay.1
At the top of the page is a sketch of Ben Venue as seen from the western end of Loch Achray. The Pass of Achray, which leads through the heavily wooded Trossachs to Loch Katrine, is situated before it. There is a similar view on folio 25 verso (D26485). Beneath this is another sketch made from the same place, this time of Ben A’an which lies just over a mile to the north. Beyond lower hills and woodland the peak is recognisable by its distinctively shaped point on the larger (but less well known) Meall Gainmheich mountain. See folio 49 (D26532) for more information and references to further views made at the west end of Loch Achray.
At the right of the page, with the sketchbook turned to the left, is a small and rough sketch inscribed ‘churchyard Islay’. David Wallace-Hadrill and Janet Carolan have been unable to identify the location of this rather undistinguished sketch,2 but a depiction of a churchyard on folio 86 verso (D26606) has been identified as Keills near Port Askaig,3 making this a possible location for the present drawing. Two mountain peaks at the left of the sketch may therefore be the Paps of Jura, with the body of water in the middle distance being the Sound of Jura.

Thomas Ardill
January 2010

1
David Wallace-Hadrill and Janet Carolan, ‘Turner Round the Clyde and In Islay – 1831’, [1991], Tate catalogue files, ‘checklist’ folio 4.
2
Ibid., folio 10, ‘checklist’ folio 4.
3
Dr David H. Caldwell, Keeper History and Applied Arts, National Museums of Scotland to David Wallace-Hadrill, 23 July 2004, Tate catalogue files.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like