Joseph Mallord William Turner

Burg Lahneck, Schloss Stolzenfels and Kapellen, Looking Upstream from the West Bank of the Rhine


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 118 × 78 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCXVI 140 a

Catalogue entry

Rendered in much the same free and summary manner as Tate D19829; Turner Bequest CCXVI 139a, this sketch of the Castles of Lahneck and Stolzenfels was taken by Turner near Lahnstein, a town situated a few kilometres south of Koblenz. Burg Lahneck is the larger of the two castles shown here, with Stolzenfels in the middle distance. Castle Lahneck is a thirteenth-century fortification constructed for the Archbishop of Mainz. Perched atop a vertiginous rock, its purpose was to protect the Archbishop’s territories at the confluence of the Lahn and Rhine Rivers, lands which included a lucrative silver mine located at Oberlahnstein.1 Lahneck in turn stands opposite the Schloss Stolzenfels, a medieval ruin given to the Prussian Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm as a gift in 1823.2
For further sketches of the Burg Lahneck in this book and others from the 1824 tour see: Tate D19829, D19833–D19834, D20155–D20157, D20159; Turner Bequest CCXVI 139a, 141a–142, CCXVIII 17–19, 21. For earlier drawings of the monument see Tate D12695, D12808, D12811–D12812, D12905–D12907, D12910–D12911, D12973, D12979–D12980; Turner Bequest CLIX 81a, CLX 55a, 57–57a, CLXI 13–14, 17–17a, 48a, 51a–52. For later drawings see D28448, D28450–D28453, D28524, D28526, D28528, D29660, D29667–D29668; Turner Bequest CCXC 49a, 50–52, 85, 86, 87, CCXCVI 32a, 36a–37.
For drawings of the Schloss Stolzenfels see: Tate D12654, D12810, D12882, D12969, D12914–D12915, D12975, D12977–D12978, D20158, D20160, D28449, D28525, D28527–D28528; Turner Bequest CLIX 7a, CLX 56a, 93, CLXI 16, 19a–20, 49a, 50a, 51, CCXVIII 20, 22, CCXC 50, 85a, 86a–87.

Alice Rylance-Watson
June 2014

‘History’, Burg Lahneck, accessed 13 June 2014,
‘Das Schloss’, Schloss-Stolzenfels, accessed 13 June 2014,

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop