Joseph Mallord William Turner

Cochem and the Winneberg, Looking Downstream from the Burg

1839

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 100 × 163 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D28363
Turner Bequest CCXC 7

Catalogue entry

Rendered with agile line, this detailed drawing represents the Parish Church of St Martin, a spired chapel and various other buildings with gabled and mansard roofs. In the distance at top right are the ruins of the thirteenth-century Winneburg Castle, located, as Bartholomew Stritch writes, ‘at the extremity of a wild valley, or gorge, traversed by the Endert’ and ‘upon the pinnacle of a lofty rock’.1 The castle was the ‘original family seat of the barons of Matternich, Winneburg, [and] Belstein’ but during the Nine Years’ War it was besieged and destroyed by French troops.2 It remains in ruin to this day.

Alice Rylance-Watson
July 2013

1
Bartholomew Stritch, The Meuse, the Moselle, and the Rhine; or, A six weeks' tour through the finest river scenery in Europe, by B.S., London 1845, p.58.
2
Ibid.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop