Although both sketches on this page appear to be a continuation of the drawing on folio 62 verso (D17616) they are in fact distinct drawings of the same subjects. The top sketch is of Leith harbour with the signal tower or lighthouse at the end of the now-demolished West Pier at the left, and the Signal House to its right on The Shore. Behind the harbour at the right is the profile of Arthur’s Seat.
The lower sketch shows the same stretch of Leith with Arthur’s Seat and also Calton Hill but with ships of the royal squadron at anchor in Leith Roads. The inscription ‘no 1’ may correspond to a proposed picture of ‘The Mission of Walter Scott’ (see folio 62 verso), and the rest of the inscription may refer to a ‘yacht’; perhaps George IV’s yacht, the Royal George, although it does not appear to be in the picture. (See King’s Visit to Edinburgh 1822 Sketchbook Introduction for references to more sketches of Leith and the royal squadron).