Joseph Mallord William Turner

Dresden: The Zwinger Gardens, Looking towards the Crown Gate, Mathematical-Physical Salon, Wall Pavilion and French Pavilion from the Upper Balustrade in the Eastern Corner

1835

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 104 × 170 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D30896
Turner Bequest CCCVI 6 a

Catalogue entry

This drawing depicts the Zwinger Palace in Dresden. It was constructed in the early eighteenth century by Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony. Comprised of galleries, pavilions, orangeries and courtyards, the Zwinger was used for parties and to house the electoral art collection.
The view was taken from an upper balustrade in the eastern corner of the Zwinger, looking out onto a landscaped courtyard and fountain. Crown Gate is at left, with the Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments at centre, and the Wall and French Pavilions at right.
For more sketches of Dresden see Tate D30296–D30308, D30897–D30900, D31013, D31024–D31042; Turner Bequest CCCI 1–7, CCCVI 7–9, 65a, CCCVII 3–12.

Alice Rylance-Watson
August 2015

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like